2.15.2011

Mad Love

I LOVE Judy Greer.  She's always the wacky sidekick that provides comic relief with her outrageous personality, snarky one-liners, and overall wack-a-doodle-ness.  She's a welcome sight in 27 Dresses, 13 Going on 30 and The Wedding Planner.  So that's why I was a little disappointed her character in the new comedy Mad Love is a cynical stoic.  She still delivers those killer one-liners, but she doesn't exhibit that slutty snarkiness that made her so great in 27 Dresses or 13 Going on 30.  But, I'm willing to give her character another chance because I am such a big fan.  Who knows, her character may evolve.

And that's the feeling I get about Mad Love.  Taking a cue from How I Met Your Mother (HIMYM), Mad Love, I have a feeling, is about the evolution of a couple's relationship (it even has narration!); but it's probably not the couple you think.  Jason Biggs and Sarah Chalke (who I loved in Scrubs and How I Met Your Mother) play the lovey-dovey couple that meet atop the Empire State building and hit it off right away.  But their best friends, played by Greer and Tyler Labine (Reaper), are the real focus of the show.  Their incessant bickering and immediate hatred for one another leads me to believe that Mad Love actually focuses on their story from meet-cute haters to passionate, dare I say, lovers.  I believe this show will follow the likes of  HIMYM, where the story really is in the journey, not the destination.  And fans of the bickering duo setup (i.e., Moonlighting) will likely find this not-so-fairy tale romance fun to watch.

Mad Love airs Mondays on 8:30/7:30 central on CBS.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment